15 Jun - 22 Jun 2019 | Saturday 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Crossing Borders, Crossing Cultures – a 7-date collaborative live music tour across QLD and NSW featuring 3 Australian music industry heavyweights of refugee background
In a Refugee Week first, BEMAC, Access and Settlement Services International (SSI), are proud to present Homelands, a seven-date collaborative live music tour across Queensland and New South Wales.
Featuring the celebrated talents of three musicians of refugee background, Homelands will take place from June 15 to 22, and traverse educational establishments, art centres, and live music venues across regional and metropolitan Queensland and New South Wales.
This unique collaboration will see internationally renowned world musician Tenzin Choegyal (former Tibetan refugee), Kween G (former Ugandan refugee), Yasmin Ibrahim Mohamed (former South Sudanese refugee), with support from Brisbane artists and long-time collaborators of Tenzin Choegyal (as Tibet2Timbuk2) Shen Flindell and Marcello Milani take to the road for a 7-date music tour.
According to the UNHCR, we are now witnessing the highest levels of displacement on record.
An unprecedented 68.5 million people around the world have been forced from their homes. Among them are nearly 25.4 million refugees, over half of whom are under the age of 18.
Homelands seeks to celebrate the contributions – culturally, economically and socially – that refugees have had and continue to have on Australian society. It seeks to build and strengthen social cohesion with a deeper understanding and appreciation of Australia’s cultural diversity through the sharing of stories, song and settlement journeys.
- Saturday, June 15 – Logan Live Music Launch, Logan QLD
- Monday, June 17 – Springfield Central State High School, Ipswich QLD
- Tuesday, June 18 – Loganlea TAFE, Loganlea QLD
- Wednesday, June 19 – New England Conservatorium, Armidale NSW
- Thursday, June 20 – Coffs Showgrounds, Coffs Harbour NSW (as part of Freedom Feast)
- Friday, June 21 – Casula Powerhouse, Casula NSW
- Saturday, June 22 – Lilyfield, Sydney NSW (as part of New Beginnings Festival)
|Dates:||Saturday 15 June - Saturday 22 June|
|Time:||5:00pm to 9:00pm|